CBCK News

CBCK News

Communication on March 30, 2007

2009.08.27 11:04

Views:6101

A New Bishop of Korea

The Holy Father Benedict XVI appointed the Rev. Thaddeus Cho Hwan-kil as the Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Daegu, and the Titular Bishop of Abbir Maggiore on March 23, 2007. The Bishop-elect, ordained in 1981, has served many parishes of Daegu Archdiocese after he finished his study at Taegon Catholic Seminary (current Gwangju Catholic University) in 1981. And he also finished the New Testaments Course "Ecce Homo" of Jerusalem in 1993. He served as the episcopal chancellor from March 1998 to December 2004. Since December 2004 he has served as the president of Maeil Daily, a local newspaper published by Daegu Archdiocese.

The Bishop-elect said at the news conference, "I am deeply moved because of the great duty bestowed on me." And he added, "I will assume the role of mother sincerely caring for the priests and the faithful, beside supporting well the Archbishop who is de facto the father of the diocese." He also asked the faithful to pray for him so that he could fulfill his duty as the Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Daegu.

The Most Rev. John Choi Young-soo, Coadjutor Archbishop of Daegu, said, "The election of a new Auxiliary Bishop encourages me greatly as I am preparing for the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the diocese." And he called on the Bishop-elect for collaboration with the renewal of the diocese.

The priests and the faithful of Daegu expressed their firm conviction that the Bishop-elect could provide a turning point for the new development of the diocese on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of its establishment. And they welcomed him as a good Bishop who could serve the Archbishops well with his fruitful experiences of pastoral activities in many parishes and episcopal chancery.

With this appointment, the Catholic Church in Korea has now two Cardinals, four Archbishops and 28 Bishops, including ten retired Bishops.

The Mass for the Bishop's Ordination will be celebrated in Daegu at the end of April 2007.

CBCK News

XE Login