CBCK News

CBCK News

Death of the retired Bishop Paul Kim Ok-kyun

2010.03.08 13:41

Views:8444

The Most Rev. Paul Kim Ok-kyun, Auxiliary Bishop Emeritus of Seoul, passed away at the age of 84 on March 1, 2010.

On February 27, 2010, after he had received Extreme Unction in hospital because of a chronic ailment, he left his last words, "I was the least in every aspect before God and the Church and even to myself. I thank God for every grace given to me in my whole life in this world." In accordance with his will, his corneas were transplanted to two patients, giving them a new light.

Born in Yongin, Gyeonggi-do in 1925, he was ordained a priest in 1954 in France. He was appointed as Auxiliary Bishop of Seoul on March 9, 1985 and retired on December 12, 2001.

For 17 years since 1984, he, as Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Seoul, contributed to organizing the archdiocesan administration and consolidating the foundation of stable financial management. He is the one who successfully organized and held the National Congress of Faith for the Bicentennial Commemoration of Catholic Church in Korea and the Canonization Ceremony of 103 Korean Martyrs in 1984, as well as the 44th International Eucharistic Congress at Seoul in 1989. Thus the deceased Bishop Kim dedicated his entire life to developing the Church in Korea and renewing the faith of Korean Catholics.

The Funeral Mass was celebrated at Myeondong Cathedral of Seoul on March 3, 2010, presided over by H.E. Nicholas Cardinal Cheong Jinsuk, Archbishop of Seoul. After the Mass, the deceased Bishop Kim was laid to rest in Yongin Catholic Park Cemetery.

CBCK News

XE Login